Traditional Mutton / Beef Yakhni Pulao recipe (Pilaf)
By Mah Jabeen
Pulao is truly a universal dish; it is typically holding world cuisines in it. acient conquest and wanderers marshal were active in spreading the Islamic aura centerpiece dish globally.
Yakhni Pulao is apparently a Persian originate. It was introduced by Mughal rulers. Yakhni is basically mutton seasoned broth. Basic summary of the dish is the rice is being cooked in the mutton broth along with the mutton.
It is assumed that Pulao was initiated documentated by the Persian scholar Abu Ali Ibn Sina during the 10th century. It is been a common rice dish among Muslims and travelled all the way with them for centuries. For now Pulao itself is a cuisine of various countries like Iran, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Uzbekistan, Arabia, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Iran, Azerbaijan, India etc, and is known by different name like Pilaf, Pulao, Pilau, Pilao etc.
Recipe of Mutton / Beef Yakhni Pulao
- ½ kg beef with bones (preferably bong )
- ½ kg basmati rice, washed and soaked
- ½ cup oil
Ingredients for Yakhni (brooth)
- 2 tablespoon fennel seeds (sonf)- ½ tea spoon as powder in gravy/ 1-1/2 table spoon in yakhni
- Star aise – 1small
- 1-1/2 table spoon coriander seeds
- Whole spices as required (small cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon stick, whole black peper, cumin seeds)
- 1 medium onion for yakhni and 1 cup fried onion on dum
- Ginger 5 cloves
- Garlic ½ inch piece
- Green chillies 4-5
- Bay leaf – 1
- 6-8 cups water
- Salt to taste
There are two ways to prepare Yakhni
- You can put all the dry spices in a muslin cloth or strainer ball and also add other ingredients and cook for 3 hours or until the mutton / beef is tender
- Second way is put all the ingredients along with mutton / beef and after it is tender strain away the spices and you get a clear broth
Use any way but you will need to have a strained clear yakhni
Ingredient for Gravy
- Yougurt 2 tablespoon
- Mint leaves ½ cup
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tablespoon
- Black pepper powder 1 tea spoon
- Salt to taste
- Fennel seed powder ½ tsp
- Dried plum 1-2 (optional)
- Green chilli paste 1 table spoon
- Kala zeera (black cumin) – ½ tea spoon
Method for preparation
- Heat oil in a pot fry onion to light brown, take it out save it for dum.
- Then add black cumin and mutton / beef fry for 2-4 minutes
- Add ginger garlic paste, green chilli paste, yogurt, black pepper, fennel seed powder, plum and ¼ glass water and mix well cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
- As the water dries add yakhni and salt according to quantity of rice.
- As the water comes to boil add rice and mix as the water dries sprinkle fried onion and put on dum (steam) for 15-20 minutes on low flame.
- And your perfect Pulao is ready
- Serve with raita and salad