Chocolate maker Mars is recalling some bars of Galaxy, Maltesers Teasers and bags of Minstrels due to the “potential presence of salmonella”.
Mars said the products, for sale in the UK and Ireland, should not be eaten. The recall began after tests showed salmonella may be in ingredients. “We are working closely with the relevant food safety authorities and our customers to ensure that the affected products are no longer available for purchase,” Mars said.
Mars said thousands of potentially affected chocolates – fewer than 3,000 – could already have been sold to customers. Products including Galaxy Milk 200g bars, Minstrel 118g pouches and Maltesers Teasers 35g bars with best-before dates of 6 May 2018 and 13 May 2018 are affected.
Other products included in the recall include Galaxy Milk 4x42g multipacks and Galaxy Counters 78g and 112g pouches with the 6 May 2018 and 13 May 2018 best-before dates. The company has asked food retailers across the UK and Ireland to pull the affected products from shelves immediately.
Tesco told the BBC that it wasn’t going to sell any of the affected products it had in stock, whatever the best before date, as a temporary measure to help avoid any customer confusion.The chocolate products affected were made at Mars’ Slough factory.
People who have purchased the affected confectionary should contact the Mars customer call centre for “returns and reimbursement”, it said. The Food Standards Agency said the recall “is for a small number of products and is on a precautionary basis.” Mars said no other brands or varieties of chocolate, pack formats, bar sizes or best before dates had been affected.
Chocolate products affected
The products being recalled are:
- Galaxy Milk 200g Bar – product code AC76R, batches 719G1SLO00, 719G2SLO00, with the best-before date of May 6, 2018, and batches 720A2SLO00, 720B1SLO00 with the best-before date of May 13, 2018
- Galaxy Milk 4x42g Multipack Bars – product code AF67D, batches 719G1SLO00 and 719G2SLO00 with the best-before date of May 6, 2018
- Galaxy Milk 42g Bar – product code AN22R, batch number 719G2SLO00, with the best-before date of May 6, 2018
- Galaxy Counters 78g Treat Bag – product code AW99N, batch number 719G2SLO00, with the best-before date of May, 6, 2018
- Galaxy Counters 112g Pouch – product code AW99G in Ireland, batch numbers 720B1SLO00 and 720C1SLO00 with best-before dates of May 13, 2018
- Maltesters Teasers 35g Bar – product code AX46E, batches 720C1SLO00 and 720D2SLO00 in the UK and Ireland, with the best-before date of May 13, 2018
- Galaxy Minstrels 118g Pouch (Sweet Nights In promotion) – product code BJ30K, batch number 720B1SLO00, with the best-before date of May 13, 2018
Mars said UK consumers can call 0800 952 0084 for reimbursement and Irish consumers can contact 1890 812 315.