How to prepare hunter beef at home in few quick and easy steps
By Mah Jabeen
Hunter beef is Eid ul adha’s most popular item, which is also known for its unique taste, the food has regained popularity over the last few years and is available at Saddar town, as well as across the city.
Hunter beef is basically a Pakistani dish, it is dried salted meat or corned beef. These strips are eaten for breakfast or with an evening tea or sometimes used to prepare sandwiches and salads.
History behind Hunter beef it is a British invasion of the Indian subcontinent came to Pakistan.
A quick recipe summary of Hunter beef is, a large piece of around 3 to 4 kg is been marinated with various spices for around 5 to 6 days and then cooked / baked.
Hunter beef is expensive, due to the high price of beef and the time it consume to prepare. As from a health perspective hunter beef is a healthier alternative because it is cooked in water and steam rather than in oil.
- Kilishi is an Nugerian dried spicy meat, coated with spices and peanut sauce.
- Biltong is an South African cured meat.
- Bundnerfleisch is an air dried meat of Kanton Graubunden, Switzerland.
- Bogoo, northern Canada , Dene people prepare dried smoke meat.
- Borts are air dried meat strips of cow or horse, mostly used by travellers, or for winters, it is ground to powder and then dissolved in water to prepare soup.
- Bresaola, a salted air dried beef originated from Valtellina valley, norther Italy.
- Carne-de-sol is a sun dried beef prepared in Brazil
- Carne seca is an air dried meat prepared from Mexico
- Cecina is a dried and slightly smoked and salted meat originated from northwestern Spain (Asturias, León, Cantabria), Cuba, and Mexico.
- Charqui meat from Ilama/ alpaca, South America
- Chipped beef, is a partially dried beef, sold in jar or plastic packets or wrapped in small thin leaves.
- Droewors is a South African dried sausages.
- Jerky is a trimmed meat and fat cut into strips, marinated and air dried and smoked.
- Kuivaliha is an salted air dried meat of reindeer preparwd in Finland.
- Lahndi or qadid is a salted air dried lamb meat of Pushtoon tribe of Pakistan, northern Afghanistan ams northern Africa (gueddid).
- Laap mei is a wax or air dried meat, an southern Chinese speciality.
- Mipku, airdried meat strips of Inuvialuit people of northern Canada.
- Pastirma is a salted spiced meatof Armenia, Greece,Turkey and Balkans.
- Pemmican is a meat mixture with dried fruits of north America.
- Suho meso is a meat prepared in Bosnia.
- Sukuti is a spiced and air dried meat of Newari people of Nepal.
- Kawaab is a spiced air dried meat prepared by Hyderabadi people of India.
- Pindang is a dried buffalo meat prepared in Philippines.
Last but not the least Hunter beef is a Pakistan corned beef marinated and baked or steam and used in salads and sandwiches.
Today i am going to share how to prepare hunter beef at home in few quick and easy steps.
Ingredients for marination:
Beef – 3 kg round
Ginger Garlic paste – 2 table spoon
Red Chilli powder – 1 table spoon
Black Pepper powder – 1 table spoon
Salt – 1 table spoon
Hub salt coarse Himalayan Pink salt – ¼ tsp (optional)
Garam Masala powder – 1 table spoon
Lemon juice fresh – ½ tea cup
Meat Tenderizer – 1 table spoon
Method for marination:
First wash the meat and pat dry with a towel, and then prick the beef from all around with a knife or a fork, now place the beef in a air tight plastic container.
Now tie the beef with a thick thread
In a bowl mix all the ingredients and then add that mixture to the beef turn upside down once after 20 minutes of applying the mixture. Cover and keep in the fridge.
You have to keep the marinated beef in the fridge for 6 days, but once a day you will have to prick the beef and turn its side, so that the mixture equally get marinated from the sides.
On the 7th day , put 6 table spoons of olive oil in a pan than put the marinated beef on medium flame. Stir fry beef from both the sides for 10 / 10 minutes. Than add 1 litre of water, as the water comes to the boiling point, cover the lid and cook on low flame for 1.5 hours, gradually check the water level in between. As well as check the beef sometimes it get ready with in an hour or in some cases it takes 2 hours or even more, it depends on the quality of beef.
There are two ways to prepare hunter beef. The other way is bake in an oven
Preheat oven to 350f, 180c, gas mark 4, now discard water and put the beef in a foil paper and cover properly, place it on a oven grill and bake for 1 hour or untill the beef is tender.
During baking you will see some water might start dripping, place a bowl to avoid oven from getting dirty. After the beef is tender completely, open and bale for 10 minutes so it gets brown colour.
Serve as sandwich or burger filling or toss with Salad and enjoy 🙂
Basic Sandwich Recipe
Shred 1 cup of cooked beef
2 medium chop tomatoes
Salt ½ tea spoon
Red chili powder ½ tea spoon
Small green chillies 2 chopped
Oil 2 table spoon
Put all the ingredients in a pan and cook for 15 minutes and as the mixture comes to the room temperature, add mayonnaise and salad leaves chopped and spread over long buns or toasted bread and serve.
Do share your valuable comments below ?