Have you ever woke up with numb hand in the morning? Read its causes and treatments
By Mah Jabeen
What is numbness?
Basically it usually happens when we don’t move our body part for long hours, usually during sleep, it’s because we put too much pressure on that part while sleeping. Nowadays hand numbness has become a common problem and usually people ignore. It sometimes due to wrong sleeping posture or it may be a symptom of chronic conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome or may be diabetes. Or in other case systemic diseases and sometimes medication may also cause numbness in hand or feet. It is essentially important to take a serious note underlying cause of the fact.
Usually the reason could be due to wrong sleeping posture and if not than its alarming and need to be checked by the doctor in order to detect the basic root
According to latest research every human being have has experienced numbness or tingling in his/ her hand or feet once in their life time. It is basically symptom of peripheral neuropathy; the situation creates when the body nerves extremities are damaged due to several reasons. Diabetes is the major cause of peripheral neuropathy, while there may be other reasons too.
8 causes for waking with numb hands
1. Wrong sleeping pose
If a person sleeps on one arm for longer period it can cause numbness in that arm. This is due to the pressure on the arm compact that area, which result numbness feeling.
2. Wound and bug bite
If the person is injured near neck line, then the person may feel numbness around arm or hand. In other case it may be due to bug / animal sting, seafood toxins, or may be due to spider or other insect sting may cause tingling numbness.
3. Excessive alcohol usage
Too much alcohol usage my also cause numbness. It will damage nerve cells due to long term usage, and it may not heal. It can only be reduced by consuming low intake of alcohol. Alcohol usage generally cause nutritional deficiencies and would result peripheral neuropathy.
4. Heavy medications
In several cases people going through chemotherapy drugs or blood pressure pills may also suffering peripheral neuropathy. Similarly it also goes for the smokers, the tobacco intake, or toxin exposure such as lead, arsenic or mercury and certain solvent and insecticides too. And the issue will settle with adjustment of medications and limit or emit toxins intake
4. Diabetic person
Diabetic people may also suffer numbness in hands / feet. Due to high sugar levels often damages the tiny blood vessels that may supply blood to the nerves in the body. And the continuous lack of oxygen may cause major damage leading to numbness. Numbness in diabetic patient starts with the feet and which may then proceed towards hand.
5. Carpal tunnel disease
Another major reason of numbness or tingling in the palm or the thumb area, usually the two or three fingers or both the hand is called Carpal tunnel syndrome. The part of the wrist where the median nerve passes is known as the carpal tunnel. Any kind of swelling in that part may apply pressure on the nerves flowing through, and may cause in severe pain and numbness.
6. Deficiency of Vitamin B12
Vitamin b12 is very essential for various body functions and one of nerve signal transmission. Usually people suffering from vitamins b12 and b6 are more likely to be observed with numbness in the arm and legs. And this feeling of numbness is describes as pins and needles. Get a proper checkup from a doctor without delay or it may even cause paranoia and hallucinations when severe.
7. Several diseases
The person nerve may damage due to autoimmune, such as Rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren’s syndrome, and lupus would cause peripheral neuropathy. Certain other diseases i.e. HIV/ AIDS, syphilis, Guillian-Barre syndrome, Stroke, Lyme, seizure disease may also lead towards numbness in hand. So can an underactive thyroid.
Best way to treat you hand numbness
- First of all address the underlying cause. If the damage is not extensive the peripheral nerves can be regenerated and the numbness can be cured.
- Every person must adopt a healthy life style; try some natural steps to cure effects of peripheral neuropathy. Eat balanced diet, maintain you weight, avoid toxin consumptions, change any problem causing medicine, intake balance meals,
- Include exercise in your routine in order to improve muscle strength and prevent muscle wasting. In a recent study, participants who undertook exercises in which 42% required surgery as compared to the 70% in the group who fail to perform the exercises regularly. Daily massage will also be beneficial.
- Start yoga it will manage pain cause by carpal tunnel syndrome and will improve the grip strength of suffering individual.
- Quit smoking and alcohol intake, as they may worsen neuropathic symptoms and will narrow the blood vessels that supply nutrients to the peripheral nerves.
- With the doctor’s prescription start taking vitamin B supplements, if the person is diagnose with vitamin b deficiency. Remember never to overdose as it may leave a harmful side effect.
- A capsaicin cream may also be an instant relief, when applied on the painful spots. But do consult a doctor as sometimes the cream may cause skin irritation and burning on first apply. So do have a patch test before applying.
- Have a regular diabetic checkup, extracts of jamun fruit juice garlic and fenugreek will be helpful for short term basis, do include in your diet.